Essentially, fire extinguishers put out fire by taking away one or more elements of the fire triangle/tetrahedron. Fire safety, at its most basic, is based upon the principle of keeping fuel sources and ignition sources separate.
What principle should be used for fire extinguisher safely?
Aim: Aim low, pointing the nozzle or hose at the base of the fire. Do not touch the horn on a CO2 extinguisher, it gets very cold and can damage the skin. Squeeze: Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent. Sweep: Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire, the fuel source, until the fire is out.
What are the three principles to be followed for extinguishing the fire?
To understand how best to extinguish a fire, there must first be an appreciation of the three elements that make up the ‘fire triangle’: heat, fuel and oxygen. As fire is primarily a chemical reaction, removing one or more of these three factors will prevent the combustion from taking place.
What is the basic principle of controlling fire?
The most common method to control a Class-A fire is to remove heat by spraying the burning solid fuels with water. Another control method would be to reduce the oxygen content in the immediate vicinity of the fire (i.e., “smother” the fire), such as by the introduction of an inert gas such as carbon dioxide.
What are the principles of fire prevention and protection?
Fire principles of prevention
- Avoiding risks.
- Evaluating the risks which cannot be avoided.
- Combating the risks at source.
- Adapting to technical progress.
- Replacing the dangerous by the non-dangerous or less dangerous.
What are the five principles to be obeyed in fighting fire?
- Prevent the occurrence of fire: …
- Provide fire compartmentalization: …
- Provide safe escape routes: …
- Provide fire alarms: …
- Provide extinguishing agents: …
- Provide facilities for the fire brigade: …
- Provide adequate control and maintenance: